Re: is the whole unstable still broken by gcc-5?

Am Samstag, den 12.09.2015, 21:55 +0300 schrieb Виталий Филиппов:
> Hi everyone!
>
> Is the whole unstable still broken by gcc-5 transition? Or by something
> else? Why apt-get dist-upgrade still wants to remove a lot of packages? It
> lasts for several weeks, I can't upgrade normally...

There are a lot of further transitions in the pipe, because every
library package, affected by the gcc-5-transition (and a library
rename) causes another transition for its reverse dependencies.

You are maybe hit by one of these transitions.

After debconf I was still not able to do a dist-upgrade without loosing
many packages. I then started manually upgrading the system. Found,
that at last only a few packages were hold back and most of the
packages could be transitioned without lossing half of the system. Took
me an hour. But hey, that Sid ;)

> Can you please tell when everything will be fixed i.e. when all packages
> will be rebuilt with newer gcc? And can you please NOT upload such
> "breaking updates" in the future before testing everything that's broken
> in experimental?.. Because the thing I always liked in Debian was that
> "debian unstable" was always more stable than "ubuntu stable", and such
> breakages dent my confidence in the stability of Debian...

That's what Sid/Unstable is used for. You'll have to live with that :)
This transition was IMHO a monster compared to the usual transitions
and it might happen again. Se at the end we probably should discuss,
what to improve next time.

Regards, Daniel