Re: length of a package extended description

Quoting Vincent Lefevre (2015-01-12 16:51:39)
> On 2015-01-09 14:56:14 -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Jan 2015, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
>>> The blank lines are not the only problem. Removing them would be a
>>> big step forward, but the description would actually still be much
>>> too long (more than 900 lines).
>>
>> Lines aren't really the issue here; the primary one is space in the
>> Packages file[1], and the secondary one is utility for users.
>
> It was important for me.
>
>> Every extra line is only an extra byte, after all.
>
> But it is an extra line on the terminal, thus twice more scrolling,
> and more chances to get "important" lines lost (the xterm buffer is
> in term of lines, not bytes).

There are multiple different issues.  The original one raised in this
thread was indeed about lines, not bytes.

Guillem points to
https://wiki.debian.org/Aptitude%3A%3AParse-Description-Bullets%3Dtrue
and I am sure Christian and other translators would be quite happy if
someone improved the package translation tools to support that.

> Note that the long list has a drawback even for "apt-cache search":
> texlive-latex-extra matches on "apt-cache search svg pdf conver" only
> because of the long list of unrelated things, not because the package
> provides something related to conversion between SVG and PDF. If all
> packages also provided extensive descriptions, there would be much
> more uninteresting matches.

Shortening package descriptions is not the solution to this issue, IMO.

apt-cache is simple: does only exact hits and favors all hits equally.
axi-cache (in package apt-xapian-index) find 13 packages and ranks the
latex hits lowest with this command:

  axi-cache search svg pdf conver*

 - Jonas