Re: debian.org RTC: announcing XMPP, SIP presence and more

Quoting Stefano Zacchiroli (2015-11-21 12:31:45)
> On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 12:05:16PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> The Debian Project now has an XMPP service available to all Debian
>> Developers.  Your Debian.org email identity can be used as your XMPP
>> address.
>
> Thanks to everyone involved, this is a great milestone for the Debian
> Project.
>
> I've a couple of questions:
>
> - Do we offer any reasonable guarantee about the long term
>   availability of the XMPP service, e.g., for people that stop being
>   Debian Project Members?
>
>   I guess the answer here is "no", and it's a reasonable one. But we
>   should be clear on the matter, as it might affect people's decision
>   on whether switching to @debian.org as their main XMPP contact or
>   not.

I'd assume same rule applies for chat as we already have for email:
Debian resources are for Debian work, not private or business use.
...which implies it is gone when you stop being part of Debian.

If my assumption is correct, then instead of talking specifically about
guarantees for XMPP I recommend that we instead talk about a) which
places currently mentions email policy, b) whether those places should
be updated to explicitly mention XMPP (or perhaps oppositely stop being
explicit about email), and c) whether we wanna change that policy.

> - Can you recommend best practices and/or tools for migrating from a
>   primary XMPP identity to a new one?
>
>   I (shamefully) still use an @gmail.com address as my main XMPP
>   identity and I've been looking into migrating away since quite a
>   while. But I've hundreds of contact there and I don't really know
>   how to minimize their (and mine) pain during a migration. If anyone
>   have tips, I'll be very glad to hear about them.

You probably should only extend, not migrate - see above.

 - Jonas