Re: debian.org RTC: announcing XMPP, SIP presence and more

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 12:05:16PM +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> The Debian Project now has an XMPP service available to all Debian
> Developers.  Your Debian.org email identity can be used as your XMPP
> address.

Thanks to everyone involved, this is a great milestone for the Debian
Project.

I've a couple of questions:

- Do we offer any reasonable guarantee about the long term availability
  of the XMPP service, e.g., for people that stop being Debian Project
  Members?

  I guess the answer here is "no", and it's a reasonable one. But we
  should be clear on the matter, as it might affect people's decision on
  whether switching to @debian.org as their main XMPP contact or not.

- Can you recommend best practices and/or tools for migrating from a
  primary XMPP identity to a new one?

  I (shamefully) still use an @gmail.com address as my main XMPP
  identity and I've been looking into migrating away since quite a
  while. But I've hundreds of contact there and I don't really know how
  to minimize their (and mine) pain during a migration. If anyone have
  tips, I'll be very glad to hear about them.

Cheers.
Former Debian Project Leader . . . . . @zacchiro . . . . o o o . . . o .