Re: Ideas to improve dpkg/ucf with hooks

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 23:10:11 +0100, Wouter Verhelst
<wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 05:47:41PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
>> Regarding dpkg, its conffile handling is IMO beyond repair, it should
>> be deprecated and later removed.
>
>Could you explain why?

- It does not give maintainers the level of control that she has with
  ucf
- It is still (after over 15 years) a program (if not the only one)
  that directly prompts the user with a keyboard-needing question
  instead of doing it debconf- and ucf-style with selectable
  frontends, defaulting to a dialog-style frontend
- It is documented to fail miserably when a conffile belonging to
  package A gets modified by package B. This is not relevant for
  Debian proper (since we forbid this constellation in Policy to cater
  for this shortcoming of our central package management tool), but
  making this possible would make package maintenance (e.g. sharing of
  a single conffile between packages) muche easier, and it would allow
  local administrators to have local "configuration" packages to roll
  out for basic site configuration without a full-fledged
  configuration management system.

Greetings
Marc