Ideas to improve dpkg/ucf with hooks [was: Putting default config files in /usr]

Le 11/11/2015 15:12, Marc Haber a écrit :
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:59:24 +0100, Mat <mat@parad0x.org> wrote:
>> This is one strong key point of
>> Debian versus most other distribs. Please don't change that.
>
> For systemd, this change is already done. Noone cared.

I cared. Enough to, at least, move the systemd config into /etc
so that etckeeper register it (but I still wont be notified on
conflicting upgrade as previously explained in this thread) on
my systems.
  That said, for what I seen when something is proposed to systemd
maintainers in Debian that deviate a little bit from upstream, yes,
I do not create a BTS bug. I do not even look if this has been
put in the BTS.

  But I would be very disappointed if other software in Debian also
take the way systemd took, hence my mail here when someone suggested
to do so.

  What I would really prefer is a work on a way to add hooks in
dpkg/ucf so that:
- original provided configuration files can be recorded (before
  admin modification/merge)
- other merge strategies (dpkg only provides use old or new, ucf
  can be used to also propose try 3-merges) should be available/
  can be written (for example with a special external tool handling
  an upgrade of one specific conffile) without including them into
  the package. The local admin would be able for example to deploy
  such strategies on a park after having written what is required
  for his installations, so that distribution upgrade run without
  interaction but with correct upgrade of its configuration files

If hooks are correctly designed (for now, I only have a few thoughts),
we can even imaging that, in case of a /usr|/etc software (as systemd),
the hooks can be smart enough to detect and handle what we explained
before (ie warn the user when a overwritten unit in /usr is modified
by the package)
  I'm under the impression that such developments have more chance to
succeed that modifying the way systemd handle its configuration.

  Regards
    Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA