Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

On Sunday 08 November 2015 15:19:30 Alec Leamas wrote:
> Some tooling to build the new configuration from the old will indeed be
> required. This is actually some work - it includes a complete lircd
> command line parser with ~18 options. Bit it's certainly doable.

Good to know

> The real reason why I think some user intervention is if not necessary
> at least desirable is the semantic gap between the old and new
> configuration. In particular, the current config enables the 'lirc'
> service which then starts up to four different server processes. The new
> config is actually up to four different systemd services which need to
> be handled separately by the user.

If I rephrase, with the current setup, 'service lirc start' starts 4 daemon
processes.

Which means the user only has to type one command to start and stop all of
them.

With the new setup. the user will have to deal with 4 systemd services (one
per daemon) and will have to run 4 systemctl commands to start or stop lirc.

Is that correct ?

> Sure, it's possible to enable and start systemd services from the
> existing configuration. But won't this be rather confusing for the user?

As long as lirc is up and running after package upgrade, I think user won't
care. I guess that user may be confused when investigating issues with lirc.

All the best
--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/
http://ddumont.wordpress.com/  -o-   irc: dod at irc.debian.org