Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

On Friday 06 November 2015 18:48:29 Alec Leamas wrote:
> So, an upgrade will not support hardware.conf. Which basically breaks
> each and every installation. While we could (i. e., should) provide docs
> and perhaps some tooling to ease the process,

Well, you can provide a tools to upgrade from hardware.conf to the new
configuration files (systemd based) using

 https://wiki.debian.org/PackageConfigUpgrade

Since hardware.conf is quite small, the creation of the model shouldn't take
long. Creating the code to read hardware,conf is easy, creating the code to
write files using systemd syntax shouldn't take long. I could help you there if
you don't know Perl.

> I think some kind of
> manual intervention is unavoidable.

Why ? because of the format change ? or does the user have to provide more
information ? (the latter would more or less break the upgrade described
above)

All the best

--
 https://github.com/dod38fr/   -o- http://search.cpan.org/~ddumont/