(newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

Dear list,

I am in the process on creating a new lirc packaging. The core reason is
that current debian version is stalled at 0.9.0 as of 2011 whereas the
upstream version is 0.9.3, with 0.9.4 under way. My plan is to try to
package 0.9.4.

Besides the more practical issues here is a big configuration trouble.
Up to 0.9.0, lirc has been configured using a file hardware.conf. This
is a debianism which never has been upstreamed. This file just isn't
compatible with modern lirc which partly relies on the systemd setup,
partly on a file called lirc_options.conf.

So, an upgrade will not support hardware.conf. Which basically breaks
each and every installation. While we could (i. e., should) provide docs
and perhaps some tooling to ease the process, I think some kind of
manual intervention is unavoidable.

Now, I'm new to the Debian community. What is the policy w r t this kind
of upgrades? As hinted on debian-mentors, I'm seeking advice in this list.

Thanks in advance,

--alec