Re: (newbie) Disruptive LIRC package update.

Hi Alec,

Quoting Alec Leamas (2015-11-06 18:48:29)
> I am in the process on creating a new lirc packaging. The core reason
> is that current debian version is stalled at 0.9.0 as of 2011 whereas
> the upstream version is 0.9.3, with 0.9.4 under way. My plan is to try
> to package 0.9.4.
>
> Besides the more practical issues here is a big configuration trouble.
> Up to 0.9.0, lirc has been configured using a file hardware.conf. This
> is a debianism which never has been upstreamed. This file just isn't
> compatible with modern lirc which partly relies on the systemd setup,
> partly on a file called lirc_options.conf.
>
> So, an upgrade will not support hardware.conf. Which basically breaks
> each and every installation. While we could (i. e., should) provide
> docs and perhaps some tooling to ease the process, I think some kind
> of manual intervention is unavoidable.
>
> Now, I'm new to the Debian community. What is the policy w r t this
> kind of upgrades? As hinted on debian-mentors, I'm seeking advice in
> this list.

Document how to migrate in README.Debian file, and add a NEWS file with
an entry to briefly mentioning the need for migration and pointing to
the README file where the details are.

NB! the exact naming of the NEWS file is important, and the timestamp of
the entry in that file must match the timestamp of your upcoming
changelog entry (I'v gotten those details wrong myself numerous times):
Test the final package works by installing apt-listchanges, and then
when you install the new package it should show the NEWS entry _before_
the package is installed.

 - Jonas