Re: promoting virtualbox-dkms to virtualbox pre-depends

At Wed, 23 Sep 2015 13:53:11 -0400,
Marvin Renich wrote:
> I think it should be documented in the developers reference that if you
> attempt to start or restart a service in postinst, you should guard it
> so that a failure in the service does not propagate to a failure of the
> postinst.

But then when something goes wrong when upgrading and the service
doesn't (re)start apt/dpkg will report success but the service isn't
running anymore. That also sounds wrong to me. Letting postinst fail
might not be the best way to signal this, but to change that we need
something else to let the user know that something went wrong. Just
printing an error message isn't enough, because the user might not see
that (for example when multiple packages are installed/upgraded and a
later package asks some questions using dialog or when using
unattended-upgrades).

Kind regards,

Jeroen Dekkers