Re: is the whole unstable still broken by gcc-5?

Виталий Филиппов <vitalif <at> yourcmc.ru> writes:

> > Try using aptitude instead of apt. It sometimes does a better job, and

> I've tried and it offered me 100500 different insane ways of solving the
> situation... :) that's why I don't use it, its solver seems really insane.
> apt-get is far more rational :)

Heh, true.

> The single thing that I found aptitude useful for is finding and removing
> packages that are unavailable in current debian release anymore :)

I use dselect for that.

During the transition (which seems to be mostly over now), I just
used 'apt-get upgrade --with-new-packages' and a bunch of manual
'apt-get install libfoov5; apt-mark auto libfoov5' to help it along.
Occasionally, set things on hold.

I have this in apt.conf:

debug::pkgproblemresolver "true";
APT::Install-Recommends "0";
Dpkg::Progress-Fancy "false";

The output of the pkgproblemresolver is virtually illegible, but
sometimes helps tracking down stuff.

bye,
//mirabilos