Re: is the whole unstable still broken by gcc-5?

Quoting Виталий Филиппов (2015-09-12 22:17:32)
>>> apt-get dist-upgrade tries to remove the following packages:
>>
>> and upgrade rather than dist-upgrade?
>>
>> Try using aptitude instead of apt. It sometimes does a better job,
>> and just 'aptitude' so you get the curses interface makes it _much_
>> easier to track down what's actually up. 'B' shows broken packages
>> which is often a clue.
>
> I've tried and it offered me 100500 different insane ways of solving
> the situation... :) that's why I don't use it, its solver seems really
> insane.  apt-get is far more rational :)
>
> The single thing that I found aptitude useful for is finding and
> removing packages that are unavailable in current debian release
> anymore :)

The advice above was not to rely on the tool to magically auto-compute a
full solution for you, but instead to interactively navigate your
complex(!) multi-suite system and make better sense of it yourself:
Might help reveal a package you'd accidentally held back, or some
deprecated library flagged as non-auto which you know you don't need,
etc. etc.

 - Jonas