Re: [DH] Planning to remove deprecated commands and compat levels in debhelper

On 14 September 2015 at 11:11, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> On 09/14/2015 08:38 AM, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> On 2015-09-13 21:02, Matthias Klose wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> still using the globbing feature for command line arguments in DH_COMPAT=2 mode.
>>>  Was this re-added in higher levels again?
>>>
>>>   Matthias
>>>

>> Hi Matthias,
>>
>> Ok, I was not aware of this feature.  To be honest, I suspect it was an
>> artefact of the old implementation rather than being intentional.
>> Digging through the documentation and the commit logs, I could not find
>> any mention of it.
>>
>> Are you using dh_movefiles here because dh_install does not support wild
>> arguments?  Or would dh_install not work for you regardless?
>
> I didn't check if dh_install supports wild card arguments.  I'm using
> dh_movefiles to check if I package every relevant file, so assuming dh_install
> would support the globbing, this still leaves the question how to check for the
> completeness of the packaging.  And I'm not going to write 150 .install files
> just to be able to use dh_install --missing.  If there's no solution, I just
> would embed a dh_movefiles copy in the packaging.

dh_install does not support renaming, unlike dh_movefiles. This is the
only limitation that I am aware off.

One can write out $pkg.install files, or even make them executable
generators, or just specify pairs in the dh_install invocation. Or use
a mix of args & $pkg.install files.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.