Re: Raising the severity of reproduciblity issues to "important"

Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> writes:
> On 2015-08-24 21:24, Santiago Vila wrote:

>> We all want Debian to build reproducibly, but goals are achieved by
>> submitting bugs, changing packages and making uploads, not by rising
>> severities.

> I agree in general that people should make an effort to improve the
> situation before trying to solve this by simply "inflating" the
> severity.  However, in this case, I feel that the reproducibility team
> has done quite an effort to reach this point already.

> In your opinion, how much of the archive should be fixed before one can
> start bumping the severity?

>  * Personally, I considered the >80% fixed is quite convincing, but I
>    would like to hear you take on this.

Yeah, Niels speaks for me here too.  That was exactly what I was thinking.

Putting aside technical issues for a moment, I would also encourage people
to think about the social aspects of this.  Reproducible builds is one of,
if not *the*, most successful large-scale, distribution-wide change that
I've seen anyone try to do in Debian for quite a while.  It came out of
DebConf, it's been very well-handled, the people involved have done all of
the things we ask people to do when making global changes but that people
rarely are willing to invest the time and energy to do, and throughout
this process the reproducible build team have been an absolute model of
how to make a change happen in Debian.

I feel like this is something that should be rewarded.  Personally, I've
done so by making reproducible build issues a much higher personal
priority for myself than I would otherwise, since this is exactly the sort
of project that I want to collaborate with.  The social approach taken by
the reproducible build team has been so good that it's gotten me to care
about something that I originally didn't care that much about.

Now, all of that doesn't mean that it has to be a project-wide goal, but I
think it's worth considering how we, as a community, want to support a
part of our community that cares greatly about something.  This is
something Debian has generally been fairly good at (with occasional
problems and occasional hard choices when there are competing priorities
that different people have been enthusiastic about).  This one seems to
not have as many priority conflicts as many, and people enthusiastically
working on clearing every technical bar.  For me, this means a *lot*.