Re: Raising the severity of reproduciblity issues to "important"

On Sun, Aug 23, 2015 at 12:48:50PM +0200, Chris Lamb wrote:
> The reproducible-builds team are currently contributing patches with
> "wishlist" severity.
>
> This is because it is not currently possible to build reproducible
> packages within sid itself - we maintain a separate repository whilst
> our changes to the toolchain are pending review and consultation.
>
> Filing these bugs with a higher severity -- which would require
> developers to use this repository to fully test any modifications --
> would be unacceptable.
>
> However, based on an informal survey at DebConf (and to reflect the
> feeling towards software reproducibility in the free software community
> in general) unless there are strong objections I intend to raise the
> severity of these wishlist issues to "important" once the toolchain
> changes to dpkg and debhelper land in sid.

Well, I object strongly.

Making a great percentage of packages in the archive to be "suddenly"
buggy is unacceptable.

We all want Debian to build reproducibly, but goals are achieved by
submitting bugs, changing packages and making uploads, not by rising
severities.

It is really so much difficult to make this in stages?
For example:

Stage 1. Make it a policy *recommendation*, with normal severity.
Stage 2. Make it a policy "should", with important severity.
Stage 3. Make it a release goal, policy "must", with serious severity.

Switching from wishlist to important in a single step does not make
sense to me.