Re: Bits from the Wanna Build team

On 2015-08-23 14:27, Stephen Kitt wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:30:40 +0200, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > This means that, in the meantime, we continue to be unable to prove the
> > > correctness of (some subset of) the binary packages in the Debian archive.
> > > I don't see why convenience of being able to rebuild an arch: all package
> > > on arbitrary architectures, something that up to this point has never been
> > > supported, should block / take precedence over providing our users the
> > > surety of reproducible builds.
> >
> > It's clearly going to block reaching 100%, but it's not a good reason
> > enough to block everything when we can easily reach 99.9%.
>
> Yes. Plus we have enough porterboxes to prove correctness of the binary
> packages anyway, it just has to be done manually (or am I missing something?).

In principle yes. The problem is that architectures are going in and out
of Debian, so we might not have the corresponding architecture in the
archive. For example while it was possible to build openbios for SPARC
in wheezy, we don't have jessie, stretch or unstable chroots. That's
actually the reason why I added this cross-compiler in the openbios
package. This also reduced the maintenance on my side, as I only have
one source package to handle instead of two. Before there were the
openbios-ppc and openbios-sparc source packages, with identical
almost .orig.tar.gz.

Also it should be noticed that firmwares are usually built by upstream
using cross-compilers, and that native compilation is often broken. Now
there might be other packages than firmwares requiring a specific
architecture, and it would be nice to build the full list one way or
another, so that we have a clearer view of the work to be done.

Aurelien