Re: Bits from the Wanna Build team

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:52:38PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > This is all great news!

> > If I'm not mistaken, the last feature that needs to be implemented in
> > wanna-build for us to be able to drop all maintainer-uploaded binaries, and
> > only ship binaries built on the buildds, is build architecture affinity for
> > architecture: all packages.  What's the outlook on this happening?

> We don't support architecture affinity, we basically treat arch:all
> almost like a normal architecture, and we have currently chosen to build
> it on amd64 (but we might decide to change that at some point or even
> built it on multiple architectures).

Ok, I'm aware we don't currently support architecture affinity, but this
means that dropping maintainer-built binaries would give us a regression vs.
the state of the archive.  There are various Architecture: all packages in
Debian that can *only* be built on a particular architecture.  In fact you
appear to maintain most of them (openbios-ppc, openbios-sparc, qemu-slof,
seabios...) - packages which contain architecture-specific firmware, that
can only be built using the tools for that architecture.

> I personally consider that if a user can install an arch:all package,
> he/she should be able to download sources, make changes, and build it.
> This is basically the spirit of the DFSG.

Anyone can download packages for any architecture, regardless of whether
they have the infrastructure for that architecture that would allow them to
build the package.  I don't agree that having one of these packages be Arch:
all instead of Arch: yogabbagabba means that the DFSG requires us to hold
them to a different standard.

> I therefore believe that we should try to work to ensure arch:all
> packages can be built on all major architectures. That said, as a
> maintainer of such a package, I understand there is still some work to
> do first, for example by getting cross-compilers in the archive to build
> the firmwares. It would be quite interesting to build a list of such
> packages to have a better view of the work that has to be done.

Unless there's other demand for these cross-compilers in the archive, this
sounds like a lot of busywork.  Sure, a cross-compiler is a good option for
building firmware for some qemu architecture that's not self-hosting in
Debian, but are you really volunteering to maintain a sparc cross-compiler
just for openbios?

> So in short we should try to fix these packages, but given they are not
> always easy to fix, we should just temporarily allow the upload of such
> binaries.

This means that, in the meantime, we continue to be unable to prove the
correctness of (some subset of) the binary packages in the Debian archive.
I don't see why convenience of being able to rebuild an arch: all package on
arbitrary architectures, something that up to this point has never been
supported, should block / take precedence over providing our users the
surety of reproducible builds.