Re: Bits from the Wanna Build team

On Sun, 23 Aug 2015 13:30:40 +0200, Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net>
wrote:
> On 2015-08-22 19:19, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 10:52:38PM +0200, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > > I therefore believe that we should try to work to ensure arch:all
> > > packages can be built on all major architectures. That said, as a
> > > maintainer of such a package, I understand there is still some work to
> > > do first, for example by getting cross-compilers in the archive to build
> > > the firmwares. It would be quite interesting to build a list of such
> > > packages to have a better view of the work that has to be done.
> >
> > Unless there's other demand for these cross-compilers in the archive, this
> > sounds like a lot of busywork.  Sure, a cross-compiler is a good option
> > for building firmware for some qemu architecture that's not self-hosting
> > in Debian, but are you really volunteering to maintain a sparc
> > cross-compiler just for openbios?
>
> Yes, and I already do that. For almost a year now, openbios can be built
> on all architectures. And the code for doing that is just less than 100
> of lines (see debian/cross-toolchain.mk). I still have to do the same
> for the other similar packages.

The way I understand Steve's email is that he's thinking of an actual SPARC
cross-compiler package... I think your (Aurélien's) approach is the right
one: CPU time is now so cheap on our big architectures that building a
(small) cross-compiler during a package build makes sense, at least when
weighed against the maintainer burden of a full-blown cross-compiler package.
It may seem sensible to introduce a cross-compiler package to support
building some piece of software in the archive, but once that cross-compiler
package is in the archive users find other uses for it; in absolute terms
that's probably a good thing, but it means more work for the maintainer who
initially just set out to make things buildable.

> > > So in short we should try to fix these packages, but given they are not
> > > always easy to fix, we should just temporarily allow the upload of such
> > > binaries.
> >
> > This means that, in the meantime, we continue to be unable to prove the
> > correctness of (some subset of) the binary packages in the Debian archive.
> > I don't see why convenience of being able to rebuild an arch: all package
> > on arbitrary architectures, something that up to this point has never been
> > supported, should block / take precedence over providing our users the
> > surety of reproducible builds.
>
> It's clearly going to block reaching 100%, but it's not a good reason
> enough to block everything when we can easily reach 99.9%.

Yes. Plus we have enough porterboxes to prove correctness of the binary
packages anyway, it just has to be done manually (or am I missing something?).

Regards,

Stephen