Re: Bits from the Wanna Build team

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 03:34:56PM +0000, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 01:12:12PM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> >> Auto-building arch:all packages
> >> ===============================

> >> [snip]

> > This is all great news!

> > If I'm not mistaken, the last feature that needs to be implemented in
> > wanna-build for us to be able to drop all maintainer-uploaded binaries, and
> > only ship binaries built on the buildds, is build architecture affinity for
> > architecture: all packages.  What's the outlook on this happening?

> I feel that arch:all packages requiring a specific architecture (or not
> buildable on amd64) are quite marginal. We can handle them by
> hand. However, this is not a blocker to have throw-away binaries
> implemented since we will always need to upload binaries (from time to
> time) to fix some toolchain issues or at an early stage of an
> architecture bootstrap. I am pretty sure FTP-folks can propose a
> solution to have throw-away binaries enabled by default, and special
> casing a few packages (e.g. using a special field in the .changes file,
> or have a list of whitelisted packages, or ...).

Given that there is already a spec for a control field that would provide
architecture affinity for arch-all builds, I think that's a much better
solution than implementing a separate control field for special casing
packages so that they are *not* built on the buildds.

Ultimately I believe the goal here should be that all binary packages
installed on Debian systems should be reproducible builds.  Things that get
us closer to this - like ensuring that all packages in the archive are built
on the buildds in pristine Debian environments, and that if they require
building on a different build architecture this is declared in
debian/control - are a good thing; things that work around this are not so
good.

Yes, we will need to support bootstrapping - which in practice happens far
more often in corners of the archive (compiler self-depends, etc) than just
when we add a new architecture.  But I would argue that, as build profile
support matures, even these bootstrap binary packages should be disallowed
in the main archive, and instead only used as build-dependencies by the
buildds.

Thanks,