Re: Bits from the Wanna Build team

Hi Steve,

> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 01:12:12PM +0200, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
>> Auto-building arch:all packages
>> ===============================
>>
>> [snip]
>>

> This is all great news!
>
> If I'm not mistaken, the last feature that needs to be implemented in
> wanna-build for us to be able to drop all maintainer-uploaded binaries, and
> only ship binaries built on the buildds, is build architecture affinity for
> architecture: all packages.  What's the outlook on this happening?

I feel that arch:all packages requiring a specific architecture (or not
buildable on amd64) are quite marginal. We can handle them by
hand. However, this is not a blocker to have throw-away binaries
implemented since we will always need to upload binaries (from time to
time) to fix some toolchain issues or at an early stage of an
architecture bootstrap. I am pretty sure FTP-folks can propose a
solution to have throw-away binaries enabled by default, and special
casing a few packages (e.g. using a special field in the .changes file,
or have a list of whitelisted packages, or ...).

I am not sure about the status on FTP-masters' side... but I think it
only requires the project deciding when we will enable throw-away
binaries by default. But before doing so, we should take some time
testing the arch:all packages. Once that done, the archive can be
configured to throw maintainers binaries (and cross fingers).

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy