Re: git interface to snapshot.debian.org

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 20.08.2015, 05:40 +0200 schrieb Marco d'Itri:
> On Aug 18, Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > this is a follow-up to my question after the dgit talk today: It would
> > be great to have a git view of the a package’s history in Debian. There
>
> I have spent quite a lot of time in 2014 to figure out how to
> automatically import in git repositories over 15 years of the history of
> my packages, with upstream sources and Debian diffs properly merged and
> tags for everything. Have a look at:
>
> http://www.linux.it/~md/software/import-inn2.sh
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/md/inn2.git

I have not thought of recreating the history of the upstream versions
correctly. I mostly care about the “what was in Debian” aspect of
history, but it should not hurt to have the upstream branches as well.
There might be tricky corner cases when trying to figure out what the
parent(s) of an upstream commit should be.

Anyways, although I have a bash prototype that worked fine so far, I’m
moving this project further down my queue of nice things I want to do,
as there are more pressing tasks on my plate.
> Also: is there any point in continuing to automatically update these
> repositories for the packages which nowadays have useful git
> repositories?

The benefit of having git repos on snaptshot.debian.org is that they
would be uniform, i.e. not dependent on the maintainer doing anything
in any particular way, which can be useful when you build tools on top
of that.

Greetings,
Joachim
--