Re: Mass bug filing about non free lena image.

On Wed, 2015-08-12 at 16:10 +0200, Tobias Frost wrote:
> Depends on the requirement on those test pictures, but the first thing
> that came into my mind is our Debian swirl. Would that do it?
> Or maybe we can just create something based on that?

One of the reasons that the Lenna pictures got traction was that it is a
good test image because of its detail, flat regions, shading, and
texture." [1], something to keep in mind when looking for a
replacement.

A human face would be good, with hair, and some textured background - no
need to be the picture of a woman. For example in [2] a picture of Fabio
Lanzoni was used (However, since they specifically acknowledge Mr
Lanzoni and his agent, I guess they also got a special permission for
their publication).

Well, to get such a picture with the proper distribution rights we could
call out for a "Lenna replacement photo competition" at DebConf :)

Best,
Gert

[1] https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~chuck/lennapg/editor.html
[2] http://arxiv.org/abs/1202.6429