Re: Xeon Phi port

     host filesystem through NFS. The platform is identified as
     x86_64-k1om-linux-gnu; gcc, binutils and glibc support this arch
Why does this need to be a new port, then?

Did you try running a Debian/amd64 chroot on it, or even just
a couple of statically linked binaries, to verify that? Or is
there a documented CPU difference that makes sharing a common
port unwiedly (like m68k/coldfire) or impossible (powerpcspe)?

More information could be useful ;)
The archs are binary incompatible, so impossible (if you are hungry for details, see ISA reference [1]). ELF class if ELF64, machine is "Intel K10M" (that's readelf's and file's output) for the 1st gen of the chip, and L10M for the 2nd get (I assume).
If the support is already in the toolchain, you'd probably not
even need to patch it to support the port, though…
I hope I don't have to, but it still looks like quite an undertaking.

Cheers, v.

[1] https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/forum/278102/327364001en.pdf