Re: Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 07:47:23AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 14:37 -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > You'll be in the master branch which is the packaging branch, but `quilt
> > applied` returns nothing, and `quilt unapplied` shows you that the patches are
> > not yet applied.
>
> But git log shows that they are, it's just that Quilt is unaware of
> this (no .pc directory in git). Perhaps grub and python-pip differ here
> but I don't think so.
>
> AIUI this is compatible with dgit, although I've not tried it.

Based on my discussions with Ian J, the only incompatibilities between
my git-dpm packages and dgit should be the absence of .gitignore caused
by the dpkg-source -I default, and that should be addressed once I get
round to starting to upload stuff with dgit.

> BTW, IIRC Colin had somewhere (on his blog?) a script which could
> reconstruct a .pc, although I think with git-dpm you never actually
> need to use quilt, since you should instead be git-dpm checkout-patched
> + git rebase.

That would be http://people.canonical.com/~cjwatson/dpkg-quilt-setup, I
think, but as you say you're better off just not touching quilt in a
git-dpm tree.  Having .pc there would probably confuse people into
trying to do so ...