Re: RE:Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools

PICCA Frederic-Emmanuel writes ("RE:Ad-hoc survey of existing Debian git integration tools"):
> It seems to me that Debian should propose a sort of decentralized
> github which should allow upstream to setup within a minute a 'PPA'
> which can be naturally connected and beneficiate of the buildd,
> autopkg-tests depending on the infrastructure shared with other
> etc...

dgit is a step in this direction.

I'm not sure I entirely understand your situation, but:

If you are a downstream, there is no need at all for you to generate
and work with source packages.  Instead, you could keep your source
code entirely in git, and build binaries directly out of git clones.

If want to do this, the dgit view of the Debian archive is a good
starting point, because it is a uniform view of the archive: a git
branch containing an editable, buildable package.

If you find that you want to edit the upstream source, you can make
your changes on an upstream git branch, and then merge or cherry pick
that into your packaging branch.

If you want to feed your changes back to Debian, you need to provide
the maintainer with the format that they are expecting.  If the
maintainer is using git, a git branch (with reasonably clean history)
is probably a good bet, but you should ask the maintainer.

If you are the maintainer, then you can simply dgit push into Debian
from your packaging branch.  If you have made the git history
complicated (eg, with merges), you may need to either linearise it
somehow yourself, or simply switch away from `3.0 (quilt)'.

Ian.