Re: LFS status, and enabling it opportunistically on next SONAME bump

On 2015-07-19 23:57, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 07:37:23PM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
>> Hi!
> Hi,
>
>> Our Large File Support on some 32-bit architectures is a bit poor, and
>> this has been going on for a while now:
>>
>>   <https://lintian.debian.org/tags/binary-file-built-without-LFS-support.html>
>
> That tag has severity minor and is marked experimental while LFS was a release
> goal. If the experimental flag gets removed then it would show up on
>    https://lintian.debian.org/maintainer/$maintainer#$package
> and it might make more people aware of it.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Guillem
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian (and others),

The tag being experimental is orthogonal to its severity.  If you are
interested in seeing it become a non-experimental tag, I can recommend
having a look at writing a patch for #787853.  From memory, the
information needed is already collected.  It just need to be used (bonus
for a test case too).

As for the severity: Surely, it could be bumped, but given it is not a
tag people can always trivially fix (possibly breaking ABI is not my
definition of "trivial"), I am not necessarily convince it is in our
best interest to be very loud with this tag.  That said, I can be
convinced otherwise as long as it does *not* lead to """blindly "fixed"
lintian tag syndrome""".

Thanks,
~Niels