Re: Packaging ASL

[...]

> > May I ask somebody to volunteer to finish the initial creation of the
> > package, so it can be uploaded?
> > It has been developed/tested on Debian since 2010 so the process should
> > be smooth.
> > Packaging efforts for other distros are underway and probably can be
> > helpful for Debian [1].
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Zeev
> > ------
> > In short about the library:
> > It is an OpenCL-based multiphysics simulation software that can be
> > deployed (besides CPU) on different massively parallel architectures
> > like GPUs, FPGAs, DSPs etc. and covers a variety of physical and
> > chemical phenomena. It can be utilized in a number of fields:
> >
> > - CFD: http://asl.org.il/benchmarks/multicomponent_flow/
> > - image-guided surgery: http://avtechscientific.com/cryovision
> > - crystal growth:
> > https://github.com/AvtechScientific/ASL/blob/master/examples/levelSet/levelSetFacetedGrowth.cc
> > - virtual sensing (i.a. medical): http://avtechscientific.com/brainshift
> > - R&D of biomed devices (i.a. microfluidics):
> > http://avtechscientific.com/focus
> > - etc., etc..
> > ------
> >
> > [1]:
> > https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libasl/
> > https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lupinix/ASL/
> > https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:ealin:physics/ASL

[...]

> I am fairly experienced with packaging CMake-based projects and could
> give you a hand on that.
>
> Since the project follows a Git workflow (master branch + tagged
> release), it would make sense to adopt a Git approach for the packaging
> repository rather than the more conventional import-from-source-tarball
> approach that the d-science policy only advocates.
>
> I can see from your original work that you are not quite there yet with
> the packaging content, which is what Andreas mentioned in his reply. I
> am afraid that the "New maintainers guide" is a mandatory stop, should
> you intend to maintain this package long term in Debian. I can only give
> you a lift for the initial effort.
>
> Best regards,
> Ghislain

Hi Ghislain,

initial effort, i.e. initial package creation is exactly what is needed
- Anton will take over the upload and the maintenance (at least in the
short term).

It was not my intention to maintain ASL in Debian - I take care of it
upstream (I'm one of the developers). I wanted to do my best to initiate
the process. I hope that there will be more people interested in
maintaining the package once it actually enters Debian and Ubuntu (btw.
is there a chance it will get into the Ubuntu 15.10?) and the community
starts to grow.

Thank you very much!
Zeev