Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 3:07 PM, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
>
>> They're certainly necessary. W/o the icons there would be no indication
>> which search engine is currently selected in the Iceweasel search box.
>
> The Tor Browser has the name of the search engine in the search box in
> grey when no text has been typed. That should be enough of an
> indicator.

Have you considered that by removing the logos there are almost
certainly people who will be less able to recognise which search engine
they have selected?  (be that because of poor sight, poor reading
ability or perhaps because they only know the thing they want by its logo)

Even if we had the right under copyright law to modify these logos, we'd
not want to do it, because we're trying to display a trademark image in
order to refer to the related service.

It strikes me that the names of at least some of these services are also
trademarked, so the text is presumably also immutable to some extent.

Cheers, Phil.