Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, "IOhannes m zmölnig (Debian/GNU)" wrote:
> > I was hoping that it could be semi-functional, with placeholder icons
> > until the site in question is actually visited. But if the icons are
> > necessary, then they're necessary.
>
> what is the "site in question" you are referring to?

Whatever the icons correspond to.

> whenever they enter a search term and select one of the unknown¹
> search engines, the search is performed (e.g. on wikipedia) and the
> placeholder icon is updated with the real icon (since wikipedia was
> visited anyhow), and from know on the user knows at least one of their
> search engines.

This is why I said "if they're necessary, then they're necessary"; I use
iceweasel+pentadactyl, so I've no clue what the default search UI even
looks like any more. With pentadactyl, it helpfully tells you precisely
what the search engine is so you don't have to guess whose icon is a
briefcase.

I'm wrong to criticize the valor of your brave men. It's important to
die for one's country when it means being the subject of a king who
wears a ruffled collar or a pleated one.
 -- Cyrano de Bergerac