Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

Hi,

Am 16.07.2015 um 16:57 schrieb Don Armstrong:

> How easy would it be to modify the code so that it only gets the
> favorite icons when the site is actually visited? [Does it already try
> to update the icons when it visits one of the configured sites?]

The problem is that the icons are displayed in the search field
dropdown, which should be fully functional before visiting the first site.

I believe that it is acceptable to ship these icons -- while they aren't
free to modify, there is no real reason why we would need that.

Trademark legislation should allow us to use these logos to refer to the
companies even without a formal permission, and would forbid us to use
them in any other context regardless of the copyright situation.

The only thing I'd see as problematic is when a company changes their
logo and wants us to stop distributing the old one -- this is something
we cannot do.

   Simon