Re: The Spirit of Free Software, or The Reality

Bas Wijnen <wijnen@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 01:06:28AM +0200, Jakub Wilk wrote:
> > POST https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebrowsing/downloads?client=Iceweasel&appver=38.1.0&pver=2.2&key=no-google-api-key
> > + a few dozens of GET requests to https://safebrowsing.google.com/
> >
> > So nothing serious here. It's just casually violating your privacy.
>
> I disagree that the safebrowsing part is not serious

You're right IMO to express your disagreement with that statement.

My understanding of that message was that Jakub Wilk's “nothing serious”
was very sarcastic, and he actually meant us to know he thinks this level
of privacy violation is quite serious.

But that may be wrong, or if correct it may not be obvious, so it's
worth pointing out:

> Are there any other ideas?  Am I the only one who thinks this is a big
> deal?

I think the behaviour of Iceweasel in Debian, described by Jakub Wilk
above, is a big deal, yes.

--
 \          “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little |
  `\            temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” |