Re: Q: Which is suitable "distribution" in changelog for point release?

On 22/06/15 15:54, Hideki Yamane wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 15:41:30 +0200
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org> wrote:
>>>  Then, which is better: jessie or jessie-proposed-updates?
>>>  and {testing,stable,oldstable}-security and {stretch,jessie,wheezy}-security?
>>
>> jessie and jessie-security.
>
>  Thanks Emilio, but why?
>  Because I also note this as best practice in developers-reference, so want
>  to know the reason.

As Joss said, because that avoids confusion.

E.g. imagine you uploaded a package to p-u targeting stable (wheezy) before
Jessie was released. Your package was accepted and all. However, the next wheezy
point release only happened after the Jessie release. Then your package that
targeted stable was shipped in the new oldstable (as intended though).

Another case: you prepare an upload for stable (wheezy) and file a p-u bug. A RM
acks it. Jessie is released. Then you upload your package. You intended for it
to go to wheezy, but it now goes to jessie.

Using wheezy and jessie avoids all these kind of problems. That's why it is
preferred.

HTH,

Emilio