Re: Clarifications about the alleged transition to FFmpeg

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Bálint Réczey <balint@balintreczey.hu> wrote:
> While the team has not announced a formal decision the majority of the
> team supports FFmpeg (which you don't ;-).

I've never denied that: [1]
However you have to give people enough time to ***think***,
***review*** things, and ***speak up*** if they wish to.

> It also not clear how the team can make a formal decision since there
> is no official leader, just members,not all listed members
> participated in the discussion.

No one claims the leadership here, so you can't either I am afraid.

> From: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMultimedia :
>  Currently there are no strict roles defined. All members can work
>  on all packages, although there is some sort of split. A list of
>  people actively involved in the packaging effort can be found here

Correct, nevertheless other members of the team on IRC expressed some
doubts about the subtle message conveyed by your blog post's title:
"Debian is preparing the transition to FFmpeg!" - not to mention other
parts of the contents ("Ending an era of shipping Libav" [...] "the
Debian Multimedia Team is working out the last details of switching to
FFmpeg").
I do believe that a different wording wouldn't have caused the same reactions.

Cheers.

(I won't reply again, I'm pretty fed up with all this and hope it will
come to an end soon)

[1] http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-multimedia-maintainers/2015-June/044671.html

--
Alessio Treglia          | www.alessiotreglia.com