Making a .deb file to be added into the debian repository.

I have a forum php / mysql software that I need to create a .deb for. I would like to create the .deb file so that it can be installed into the apache2 default-site folder, xampp htdocs, or both but I have noticed that both phpbb3 and mediawiki deb files installs into /var/lib and /usr/share. Is there a reason why they install into those folders and not into /usr/share/apache2/default-site ?

The goal is to have my open source forum software added to the debian software center / package manager. What should I do first to try to get the software into the debian repository?