Re: Debian Archive architecture removals

On Wed, 6 May 2015 20:36:25 +0200
Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Neil Williams, le Wed 06 May 2015 12:03:30 +0100, a écrit :
> > If the patch *is* trivial and testable then it is up to the porters
> > to arrange a fully tested NMU.
>
> How can a porter fully test a package?  Only maintainers really know
> their package well, testing a package is rarely documented.

Anyone submitting a patch needs to at least be able to show that the
patch works and does not cause further bugs in the package. That means
at least testing the package - that's nothing to do with porting, it's
general bug handling. ci.debian.net is one way that the problem of
testing a package is improving. I did qualify the statement you've
quoted to specify that the package is testable.

> > Maintainers should help porters for release architectures wherever
> > possible - for non-release architectures, that really isn't
> > something you can do anything about except do the work yourselves.
>
> So you mean Debian does not welcome ports?

Non-release architectures and toy ports require a lot of work by those
who want that functionality but that does not mean that those desires
can be transferred onto others. Debian does welcome ports but the
workload resides with those who want the port in Debian. The
presence of the port must be justified by the work that people are
willing to contribute to it. With a port which is keeping up with
developments across the distribution, that is easier and more
people join the work.

Ports that have a clear, attainable, goal of becoming a release
architecture in the next cycle and remaining so for years to come are
easier to join and the port itself gains acceptance more easily than
non-release architectures. That is how ports like arm64 got into Debian
- by a lot of people doing a lot of work themselves on the basis that
those people wanted arm64 in Debian. (I can't speak of the pp64el port,
I wasn't directly involved in that but I'd be surprised if it was
substantially different.) Ports like that can continue to move forward
- at speed - even when there is a complete lack of physical hardware,
purely due to how the work can be spread over enough people. If the
number of people falls below a critical level, that work becomes
prohibitive but that does not mean that Debian has to suddenly take
over the work. Debian cannot do that.

> (I'm sorry, but "just do all the work" is not welcoming, to me)

That is a big warning sign right there. Where is the team? Where are
the other people driving this? Is it really just you?

You can continue expecting others to do the work for you (which leads
to bugs sliding down the priority list of some of the maintainers) or
you can do the work. Unless more people join in the effort, that is
clearly not going to be sustainable and I do think this needs to be
acknowledged. Any project can get to a point where further work is
counter-productive. The maintainers are not ignoring bugs to spite you,
they have other priorities which are more fun and more interesting.
Unless the objective becomes more appealing to a wider range of people,
bugs will continue to slide down the priority list - there are simply
not enough people who care enough about the work. If those people have
not been persuaded already, it is unlikely that things will change
substantially any time soon.

I've stepped away from a few projects over time due to issues like
these. I've moved on to other, active, projects which are able to
keep up with changes across the distribution and I have been and
continue to be massively happier by doing so. When there are not enough
interested people that the task becomes "just do all the work yourself"
then the question is unavoidable - has the time come to quit and do
something else? It's no fun working into a dead end - the wise thing to
do is to change course before it gets that far.

I've been in situations where everything comes down to me and if I
didn't get problem X fixed then nobody else would (or in some cases,
could). That isn't healthy for the project and it wasn't healthy for
me. The workload actively blocks adding more people to the team because
there isn't time to get others up to speed. The answer to that is not to
continue fighting but to step back and find something else to do. I had
many, many people thanking me for the work I'd done, I didn't get as
many woeful tales as I was expecting (hardly any, really) because those
who cared about the work also knew how much work it was requiring just
to stand still. (I even had some of the people who thanked me stepping
in to defend my decision to cease work on the project to those who were
spreading their tales of woe.)

This is why I stopped work on Emdebian Crush all that time ago (after
Lenny). It's why stepping back from Emdebian Grip last year was
absolutely the right thing to do as well - before that got into the
acute problems which affected Crush. There are warning signs in these
things and the feeling that you have to "just do all the work" is a big
RED FLASHING STOP sign.

Been there, done that. Please don't follow. I don't care who you are, I
wouldn't wish that on anyone.

There's always another project around the corner which will be a lot
more fun, that's the thing with free software.

This will be my last message in this thread. I've said what I wanted to
say, it's up to others to determine their own responses. I've tried to
be as general and helpful as I can and now it's time for me to get
back to fun stuff. Make of it what you will.

--

Neil Williams