Linking Python extensions with libpython (was: linking perl statically against libperl)

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:58:38AM +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
>  - note that in Debian python extensions aren't usually linked with
>    -lpythonX.Y. This is done to not depend on multiple python versions
>    when building an extension for multiple python versions in a single
>    binary package, but also to not load the shared library.  I don't see
>    a memory waste here. Of course, the shared library is loaded when
>    an application is started using an embedded python interpreter (vim).

Note that this decision prevents a single Vim instance from being able
to run both Python2 and Python3 code.  For that reason alone, I'd rather
have extensions linked with -lpythonX.Y.  That would be one step toward
me being able to enable dynamic loading of language bindings in Vim.

Cheers,
--
James
GPG Key: 4096R/331BA3DB 2011-12-05 James McCoy <jamessan@debian.org>