linking perl statically against libperl

Hi,

I'd like to start linking /usr/bin/perl statically against libperl on
all architectures instead of just on *i386 like now. See #781476
for some more details. I'm looking for input on this.

Pros:
    A we can treat all architectures the same way -> simpler packaging
    B slightly improved performance (4%-15% depending on the architecture)
    C removes the current kludge where libperl.5.20.so is bundled
      with perl-base on !i386 and the shlibs lie
    D makes sure perl-base (which is Essential:yes) stays robust

Cons:
    E increased memory usage on systems running multiple perl processes
    F possibly increased startup time for short perl scripts
      (but that may be a non-issue due to caching anyway?)

I'd very much like to achieve A and C while keeping D. An alternative
would be to take the performance hit on *i386 too and link libperl in
dynamically on all architectures, but move libperl.5.20.so into the
libperl5.20 package and make perl-base Pre-Depend on that. Presumably
this should work too, but it does make perl-base dependencies a bit
more complex.

I note that this would match what python is doing AFAICS, so I
suppose the memory usage concerns aren't that critical?
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org