Using build profiles to specify extra build dependencies (was: Re: Minified javascripts in packages)

Hi,

Quoting Paul Wise (2015-04-12 05:14:22)
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 11:44 PM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > What is mandatory is being able to rebuild everything from source with
> > tools available in Debian (main)
>
> Unfortunately we don't have any consistent way to manually or
> automatically verify that we can do this.
>
> I expect we would need Build-Depends-Extra and debian/rules distclean to make
> that happen. Thoughts?

I guess instead of a new field you could use build profiles to mark some build
dependencies as only being needed for running certain targets in debian/rules.
Then a environment variable like DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=distclean could be used to
instruct dpkg-buildpackage to set the right build profile options (leading to
more build dependencies) and call the right targets in debian/rules.

Going down that road makes me think about more things:

 - should dpkg-buildpackage set a build profile in certain circumstances (a
   certain DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS like nocheck or nodoc being set or host-arch !=
   build-arch) or should the user invoking dpkg-buildpackage in a certain way
   set the build profiles they want?

 - could the Build-Depends-Indep and Build-Depends-Arch fields replaced by
   build profiles in the long term in a similar manner?

cheers, josch