Re: Gitorious; check-all-the-things (was: Re: Misc Developer News (#38))

On Tue, 2015-03-10 at 08:53 +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:

> Codehaus already has a horribly slow main page... Never really heard
> of them before, though. (I'm always thinking of Spamhaus when reading
> its name. :-)

Searching my mailing list archives, Java projects seem to like them.

> Sounds like a nice idea and will probably replace many homebrewed
> scripts and check lists. Looking forward to it.

You can use it today, just git clone and put a symlink to it in $PATH.

> I'm missing license-reconcile here which checks licensecheck's output
> against debian/copyright (and seems to can do some more stuff).

There is licensecheck2dep5 in cdbs but I doubt that is a viable path to
fully automatic comparison between source files and debian/copyright.
Indeed I'm not sure such a thing is feasible since the source can be
incorrect and debian/copyright could contain licensing emails.

> Maybe "isutf8" from the package moreutils could also provide some
> useful checks. I've though just filed a bug against lintian (#780180)
> to do some more UTF-8 checks, so this may be superfluous soonish.

I had a check for that in the predecessor to check-all-the-things (a
very ugly shell script) that ran isutf8 with a list of extensions to
ignore but that was a bit unmaintainable. It is on the TODO to replace
it. It would be nice if isutf8 had a recursive mode that could ignore
binary files but I haven't filed a bug about it yet.

https://wiki.debian.org/HowToPackageForDebian#Check_points_for_any_package

--
bye,
pabs