Re: motd handling in jessie

Cameron Norman <camerontnorman@gmail.com> writes:

> Well we can do both. If these update-motd scripts actually differ in
> their result day by day, and the server is only rebooted maybe once a
> week (if not less often), then running them once at boot is not enough.

I think we're overcomplicating this.  If someone really wants to put data
that updates regularly in their MOTD *and* use update-motd.d to do this
(we're already into territory that I suspect is pretty rare), we can just
tell them to add a call to update-motd to cron or use pam_motd.

For me, the interesting question is what we should do by default.  We
certainly shouldn't remove the code that lets people do more complicated
stuff if they really want.