Re: motd handling in jessie

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Why run this on every boot?

The main thing that you want to be up-to-date are things like the running
kernel version, and you have no other good way of detecting that, I don't
think.

It's not like this stuff takes very long to run, and it will happily
parallelize.

> If the update-motd.d interface is supposed to also show information like
> list of outdated packages, etc, wouldn't some other mechanism to trigger
> an update, be better.

What trigger do you have in mind that would detect that you just rebooted
the system into that new kernel that you installed six weeks ago but never
used?

> I suggested a cron job, but maybe there are better ways, like apt hooks,
> dpkg triggers, etc.

A cron job is strictly worse than running it at boot in every metric that
I can think of.