Re: Who gets an email when with bugreports [was: Re: Unauthorised activity surrounding tbb package]

On 19/01/15 01:14, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
>
>> But isn't subscribing participants "natural"? Posting to a bug
>> report means participation and thus you'd get the follow-ups. Why
>> would you post to a bug report if you aren't interested in what
>> happens with it, how things proceed/evolve?
>
> It is only natural to people who are used to it happening on other
> bug trackers. People often file bugs for issues they discover in
> software they don't use or care about, getting followups to those
> isn't necessary.
>>
>> I can understand your point of view and I think also the why but
>> isn't that position the exception from the rule? That is shouldn't
>> the process be optimized for the "common" case and allow the
>> exception?
>
> The problem is that there is no common case. The only generality I
> can think of is that people who have been around for a long time
> generally want the status quo and new people who are usually used to
> other bug trackers want to be subscribed by default.

Hi.

It is far better to get the surprise that you got subscribed and
having to unsubscribe than to get the surprise that you did not get
subscribed and missing real-time conversation.

Also, automatic subscription would definitely lower the barrier for
potential contributors, as it is expected to be subscribed; it also
makes continued contribution require less effort. Experts that want to
nitpick each case could have a flag available and their default could be
changed by one or another way.

Best regards.