Re: inconsistent versions of M-A: same packages

Hi,

Quoting Ralf Treinen (2014-11-09 15:58:15)
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2014 at 06:41:24AM +0100, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> > Dpkg and apt allow this just fine. Try to do:
> >
> > apt-get install --simulate gcc-4.9-arm-linux-gnueabihf
> >
> > And you will end up with a number of armhf packages on your system (you have to
> > enable armhf beforehand of course).
>
> Interesting, I did not know this. Is this documented somewhere? I just looked
> through apt-get(1) man page and couldn't find it there.

it should definitely be documented in deb-control(5) but is not. I filed
#768842.

Otherwise, this is documented in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MultiarchCross in
sections "Cross-architecture dependencies" and "Toolchains". There is an
ambiguity in the docs whether support for them was introduced in dpkg
1.16.2 or 1.16.7. Confusingly, support seems to have been implemented in dpkg
git commit 7acf7afa which was released with version 1.16.5. In any case, wheezy
has 1.16.15, so it definitely supports this.

> > This might fail not only because of M-A:same conflicts but also because
> > some packages just conflict with each other through a normal Conflicts:.
> > You probably need a clever way to partition dependencies.
>
> In my understanding these are precisely the cases which we want to find:
> packages which are supposed to be co-installable for different archiectures
> (since they are M-A=same), but which are not for some reason.

Ah okay! Somehow I misunderstood your initial email that you wanted to say:

	Depends: foo:i386, foo:amd64, ..., bar:i386, bar:amd64,...

But instead you just want...

	Depends: foo:i386, foo:amd64, ...

...in one package and...

	Depends: bar:i386, bar:amd64,...

... in the other, right? This sounds very useful, because it does not make
sense to mark a package M-A:same if they cannot actually be co-installed across
architectures.

Instead of creating dummy packages for this task, you can also use
dose-deb-coinstall for this job.

cheers, josch