Re: inconsistent versions of M-A: same packages

Hi,

indeed I forgot about multiarch... and I ment that non-installibility is a bug
for sure (though just a sympton of the real bug), but often packages can still
be installed even though the versions of a package differs due to binNMUs.
Andway - more to the point:

(leaving full context for the benefit of Ralf whom I added to cc:ed..)

On Samstag, 1. November 2014, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Marc Glisse [2014-11-01 11:45 +0100]:
> > sorry for the naive question, but is there a plan for massively
> > rebuilding all "Multi-Arch: same" packages that have inconsistent
> > version numbers across architectures before releasing Jessie?
> I don't know, but I think there should be. Thank you for bringing this
> up. As you say, currently this is the only way to make multiarch
> co-installability work properly.

Ralf, does DOSE already detect such inconsistencies or how hard would it be to
add support for that?

(also, btw, I couldn't find the daily DOSE runs linked from
tttps://qa.debian.org/dose - did I miss it or is it missing?)

> I am happy to spend some time scheduling rebuilds to resync all arches
> to whichever number is highest. This problem will have been made worse
> by the late-in-the-cycle additions of arm64 and mips64el (despite some
> effort being made to avoid library binNMUs when there was a choice,
> specifically to minimise the size of this issue) so it's only fair
> that us porters take the time to fix it up.
>
> The problem evaporates when new source versions are uploaded, and I
> expect there will be a fair amount more of that before release time
> due to bugfixes. So I expect the release team have an opinion about
> the most appropriate time for deciding that some 'version sync only'
> rebuilds should be scheduled to fix remaining library-version mismatches.
>
> It is currently a feature of our bootstrap/import process that we do
> binNMUs of packages (to rebuild packages originally imported from
> debian-ports to break cyclic dependency loops on the 'kosher' buildds,
> or to rebuild profile-built bootstrap packages). And some of these
> imports have to be library packages, so this issue inevitably
> arises. Before multiarch this didn't actually matter. They are also
> heavily used for library transitions where arches have different sets
> of packages built against an old library (and thus need rebuilding to
> get rid of the old version).
>
> Changes to the system such as a mechanism for rebuilds that didn't
> change the version number, or changes to dpkg to consider binary
> rebuilds 'multiarch equivalent' would solve this in a more systematic
> way.

I agree that a systematic fix is in order, I just wonder whether it's more
reasonable to defer that for jessie+1...

cheers,
	Holger