Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

On 09/09/2014 13:46, Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez wrote:
> So, when upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie, we have three options:
>
> 1) Keep the user init system (sysvinit most probably)
> 2) Upgrade to systemd after asking the user.
> 3) Upgrade to systemd silently without asking the user.
[...]
> I understand that we want users to switch to systemd, so proper testing
> is done and bugs are reported. So option 2 is a good compromise. By
> asking users, each one can decide if he wants to risk to try systemd or not.

I agree with your analysis. However, how do you think we can ask
the user ? We can have a debconf question. However, whatever the answer
is, we must not return an error (i.e. aborting the upgrade). It is
really a pain to recover when this occurs.

> For example: I will try systemd on my laptop, but not on a remote server
> that only is accessible via ssh.

I agree with you.

  Regards,
    Vincent.

--
Vincent Danjean       GPG key ID 0xD17897FA         vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: 621E 3509 654D D77C 43F5  CA4A F6AE F2AF D178 97FA