Re: upgrades must not change the installed init system [was: Re: Cinnamon environment now available in testing]

Matthias Urlichs, le Tue 09 Sep 2014 13:49:54 +0200, a écrit :
> Samuel Thibault:
> > > So please fill a bug for every breakage you will encounter, so it
> > > can be either fixed or documented.
> >
> > There will be dozens of them then. Will they really be fixed in time for
> > Jessie?
> >
> We don't know yet. Would you rather have bugs which are not even reported,
> and operate from _really_ incomplete knowledge?

Well, I thought it was already well-known that quite a few regressions
are being brought, but apparently it's not. I'll just file bugs then.

> > When we upgraded from grub1 to grub2, we have let the users decide when
> > they actually do the switch, so they can handle it independently from
> > the system upgrade. Why not doing the same here?
>
> Nobody said that we wouldn't let the user decide.
> That's different from what some people here seem to want, which is not
> do anything at all until the admin explicitly installs systemd-sysv.

No, I'm not asking this.  I'm asking not to upgrade to systemd silently.
Sure, people are supposed to read release notes.  But the release notes
can't mention all the differences of behavior brought by systemd that
may hurt the admin very badly (and far from everybody read release notes
unfortunately).

I have made a quick poll among various people here and there, there is
no real consensus, either on switching to systemd by default or keeping
with sysvinit by default. So it seems to me a question during upgrade is
needed.

Samuel