Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 04:41:13PM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:59:29PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> > If I understand right, new upower basically throws away most of its
> > functionality, telling its users to use systemd instead.  That's an idea
> > that's neither good nor acceptable.
>
> I see you want to start a discussion about systemd? I rather not
> participate. The decision was taken by ctte, suggest to not keep
> rehashing if you want systemd. It also feels too much like saying what a
> project should have done, 10+ months too late.

Yes, the decision was taken by ctte.  #746715 decided that all init systems
are to be supported, not only systemd, and that functionality on non-systemd
must not be dropped without a good reason.

> > So reverting to a fully functional version of upower for jessie would be
> > probably best.
>
> You cannot have both installed at the same time. Meaning: software which
> relies/uses new UPower cannot be installed at the same time as software
> relying on the older one.

Except that even Gnome3 can work with upower 0.9, at least in the version
that's going to end up in jessie.

So you're dropping most functionality on non-systemd... why?

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple