Re: Reverting to GNOME for jessie's default desktop

On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 11:42:48AM +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 03:39:44PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > Of course, this dire situation has come upon us due to the strong
> > interleaving of Gnome and Systemd and upower maintainers, uploading
> > without making sure not to break the rest of the infrastructure.
>
> The upower change was announced by
> the maintainer well in advance, that announcement has been
> re-distributed by me/GNOME on October 2013:
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/distributor-list/2013-October/msg00002.html
>
> For such a change, 6-9 months of pre-warning should be enough. It would
> be way better if projects held back until all affected software changed
> (or maybe ensure affected software makes the changes). However, not very
> realistic (only so much time plus your adjusting the speed of other
> projects to the slowest one).

If I understand right, new upower basically throws away most of its
functionality, telling its users to use systemd instead.  That's an idea
that's neither good nor acceptable.

So reverting to a fully functional version of upower for jessie would be
probably best.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple