Re: How to build-depend on a C++11-capable compiler?

Am 21.07.2014 14:31, schrieb Mathieu Malaterre:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Thibaut Paumard <thibaut@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The new release of my package Gyoto should be built preferably with a
>> C++11-capable compiler. It can be built with a reduced feature-set
>> without, though.
>>
>> Is there a clever way to ensure that the default compiler is
>> C++11-capable, if available in the archive, or should I simply
>> Build-Depend on g++ (>=4:4.7)? (The goal behind this question is to make
>> life easier for backporters and persons trying alternate toolchains).
>
> Last time I asked:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/09/msg00335.html
>
> It was prefered to provide a C++98 ABI compatible library for the time
> being. If you start providing a C++11 ABI library people will not be
> able to mix symbols from your lib and other part of debian system.

this is still the way to go. C++11 support in libstdc++ is still marked as
experimental in GCC 4.9, and if other toolchains are using libstdc++ this is
valid for other toolchains too.

C+11 support currently is incompatible across GCC versions (see ). This may
affect you or not, but if you build a C++ application in c++11 mode you should
make sure to build it with the same compiler version.

> As far as I understand the whole debian should transition to C++11 ABI at
> the same time.

I don't think this is needed. You just have to make sure that you are using a
compiler with a stable C++11 ABI *and* a stable libstdc++ ABI. GCC 5.0 promises
to be such a compiler.

  Matthias